Updated: January 28, 2023
Wait, the dinosaur growls inJurassic Parkwere sex sounds?!
1. Trained owls were used in theHarry Potterfilms, and the entire first batch of lettershad to be rewrittenbecause they were too heavy for the little owls to carry.
2. Multiple animals are often used for one character, but inBabe, the star was played bytotal of 48 piglets!
3. And while we’re on the subject ofBabe, the little piggies werefed peanut butterto give the illusion of them speaking.
4. Animal rights activists protested against101 Dalmatiansafterseeing a riseof the breed in animal shelters.
5. AndFinding Nemohad a devastating effect on wild clownfish – so many people bought them as pets that they ended uplocally extinctin parts of Thailand, Sri Lanka, and the Philippines.
6. InJurassic Park, the iconic velociraptors growls were actually thesounds of tortoiseshavingsex.
7. And the makers ofFlipperopted to usesounds from kookaburra birdsinstead of actual dolphin noises.
8. If you were thinking the squirrels inCharlie and the Chocolate Factorywere CGI, you would be wrong – they werereal squirrels who were trainedto crack nuts!
9. Daniel Stern had originally thought that a fake spider would be used for the famousHome Alonescene, but wassurprised with a real poisonous tarantulawhen it came to filming.
10. The bees inCandymanwere also very real, and Tony Todd waspaid a bonusfor each sting he received.
11. InThe Wizard of Oz,Toto waspaid morethan the actors who played the munchkins.
12. 450real snakeswere used inSnakes on a Plane!
13. And finally, the star ofBeverly Hills Chihuahuawas in an animal shelter andhours away from being put downwhen he was discovered by the film’s dog handler.
DANIEL Stern starred inHome Alone, not Howard Stern, as the earlier version of this post would suggest. Oops!
TV and Movies
Get all the best moments in pop culture & entertainment delivered to your inbox.